Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Freely You Have Received... Freely Give!

This morning I read Luke 21:1-4. It's the part about the widow giving two small coins in the offering box. We may view that as a small offering, but Jesus says: "This poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she has given everything she has."

Just the other day I had a lesson in the heart of giving. I popped in at Pick 'n Pay for a bagful of essentials and coming out I saw the car guard standing two spaces away from my car. There were very few cars in the lot and he looked quite forlorn standing there in the dying rays of evening sun. My thought was: 'He wasn't here when I got here, I don't even know if he was watching my car.' Then the Holy Spirit gave me a quick rap over the knuckles: 'Are you giving because he deserves it or are you giving because you just WANT to GIVE?? Did you deserve the Gift I gave you by hanging on the cross in your place, paying the price for your debt?'

Ouch!

I took a R2 coin from my purse and winding down my window as I passed him, I said, "Thank you, uncle! God bless you!" I wasn't prepared for the gratitude I saw in that old man's eyes...

A smile split his face in two and he gushed, "Thank you, thank you! I'm always afraid to ask..."

My heart broke right there! I said to him, "No, uncle, you MUST ask! You work hard all day in the hot sun! You have a right to ask!" But as I drove away I realised that he shouldn't need to ask. We should DESIRE to give, even what we cannot afford!!

This morning I also read 2 Corinthians 8:1  We want to tell you further, brethren, about the grace (the favor and spiritual blessing) of God which has been evident in the churches of Macedonia [arousing in them the DESIRE TO GIVE alms]; 2  For in the midst of an ordeal of severe tribulation, their abundance of joy and their depth of poverty [together] have overflowed in wealth of lavish generosity on their part. 3  For, as I can bear witness, [they gave] according to their ability, yes, and BEYOND THEIR ABILITY; and [they did it] VOLUNTARILY, 4  BEGGING us most insistently for the FAVOR and the fellowship of CONTRIBUTING in this ministration for [the relief and support of] the saints [in Jerusalem]. 5  Nor [was this gift of theirs merely the contribution] that we expected, but FIRST THEY GAVE THEMSELVES TO THE LORD and to us [as His agents] by the will of God [ENTIRELY DISREGARDING THEIR PERSONAL INTERESTS, they gave as much as they possibly could, having put themselves at our disposal to be directed by the will of God]-- AMPLIFIED VERSION (Emphasis my own)

People should not ask us to give... We should ask if we may give, and then give. The DESIRE to give should be stronger than the desire to receive or to hoard or to provide in our own needs.

Freely you have received; freely give...

Shalom!
Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment